Remove the sample platform as indicated by the green arrow. The slot indicated by the red arrow can be used to screw the stage up and down with a flat standard screwdriver. Replace the sample platform, replace the glass sputter chamber, and recheck the stage height as above. This is a good point to inspect the O-ring sealing surfaces. The blue arrow indicates particles on the O-ring surfaces that can prevent a good vacuum seal. The bottom edge of the sputter chamber should also be checked for debris. If vacuum grease is needed-- use sparingly. More vacuum grease is not better!
When the sample stage is at the right height and the O-ring and glass chamber sealing surfaces are clean, replace the bell jar and install the samples. Cluster samples around center of sample platform.
- Set sample platform height to 25 mm.
- Make sure bottom O-ring surface and corresponding sealing surface of the glass chamber are clean.
- Install samples, clustering them around the center of the sample platform.
- Dust away any particles adhering to the sputter target shutter.
- Remove the sputter electrode and dust around the target.
- Replace the sputter electrode.
- Make sure the top O-ring surface and corresponding sealing surface of the glass chamber are clean.
- Close the sputter head on the chamber.
- Continue to: AuPd Coating Procedure Part 2: Pumping.